Since discovering adzuki beans a few months ago, I have become a big fan of them. I cooked adzuki bean burger again last night and there were some left over boiled adzuki beans in my refrigerator. I was craving a little for some sweet and couldn’t think of a better way to use the beans than making some healthy gluten free brownies!! Its a simple and easy recipe and very quick to make. Let me know if you liked them. I loved them even more than the regular brownies!!
Makes: 10 – 12 servings
For the brownies
1 ¼ cup boiled adzuki beans or canned beans
1/6 cup dark brown sugar
1/6 cup maple syrup
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp salt
4 tbsp canola oil/ deodorized coconut oil/ melted butter
¼ cup almond milk or regular milk
- Pre heat the oven to 375F.
- To boil adzuki beans, put half cup raw beans (soaked overnight) with 2.5 cups water and boil them until soft. This will yield 1 ¼ cup boiled beans. Skip this step if using canned beans.
- Take a 9 inch pan and oil it.
- Put all the ingredients in the blender and blend until smooth. Pour it in the pan.
For the crust
1/3 cup crushed pecans/walnut
2 tbsp melted butter
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp ginger powder
- In a bowl, mix the ingredient for crust and then spread it evenly on the top of the base mixture in the pan.
- Bake it in the oven for 20 – 25 minutes and serve warm (with ice cream/whipped cream if you want to indulge:) )