So its been long that I have not really made something fried. Doing a health concious vegan/veg course has changed my way of cooking a lot. But this recipe is very delicious and its a good snack when you have people over. You can always bake it but when fried, Its more crispy and flavourful.
Serving: 5 – 6 balls
2 large potato, boiled, mashed and chilled
1 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
1 tbsp melted butter
1/2 cup finely chopped spinach lightly salted
1/4 cup small pieces of cottage cheese or any kind of grated cheese
1 tsp fresh rosemary
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1 egg (optional)
1/2 cup flour
Canola (or vegetable/sunflower) oil to fry
- Take mashed potato and add melted butter, salt and pepper
- Take 3 tbsp potato and pat them to a flat circular shape. Put 2 pieces of cheese and 1/2 tsp spinach in the middle and form a ball. Make sure there are no holes or openings, otherwise the oil will seep inside while frying.
- Repeat the process for the remaining mashed potatoes. You should be able to make 5 – 6 balls out of it. Keep them on the side.
- Now take a small deep frying pan and add enough canola oil to the pan so that the balls can submerge in the oil. Wait for the oil to reach 350 – 375 F (You may check the temperature by dropping a small piece of potato in the oil; if it comes boiling to the surface immediately after you drop it, the oil is ready)
- Now dip the balls in the flour with one hand and then dip it in egg with the second hand and then dip it back in the bread crumbs mixed with rosemary using the first (dry) hand (If you are not using egg, then only coat it with bread crumbs and rosemary).
- Now fry them until golden brown from both the sides.
Tip: If you want to change the color of the potato balls, add 1 tsp of shredded beetroot to the mixture. It will add a beautiful color. Serve with chilled mint chutney!